Here we go.

22 February 2013

Three-day weekend!

Here's how our recent maxi-weekend went:

On Friday, I got a text from my beloved Alannah who was in town for work.   She wondered if we were available to jailbreak her for the evening.  Yeah, obviously!  We went to Mt. Fuji for supper and then to a party afterward.  Then we went back to my place and did stretches on the living room floor and drank peppermint tea like it wasn't weird. (ATM did not participate in this activity because he was busy being our personal DJ, hey!)  It was so much fun and it really made me look forward to her and Stella's visit in the coming weeks.  I'm going to narc on myself here:  I had one beer because the party was held in honor of an old friend who moved back from New Orleans.  I'd bought some Abita Ambers because I thought it'd be majorly rude if I didn't share one with him, BUT it turns out that he gave up alcohol for Lent, so there you go.  I also ate two candied pecans, but no one in their right mind would turn that down.

Bonito flakes doing their dance:


Alannah, friend of all felines:
 photo A06BDAAE-276E-4486-8EB9-14D662B40A3C-4796-000002203176869F_zps79ffbd7c.jpg

On Saturday, I had to seriously dig deep to do anything because of the late hours I kept on Friday night.  I did manage to get some food with KMHD & Blair.  Our waitress told us that our parents should be proud of us for having such good manners, which is hella awesome to hear from a grown up.  :3  Later that night, we had our inaugural movie nacht at the Victory St. space.  We watched An American Werewolf in London.   I personally enjoyed the movie & had a lovely time. We could probably stand to have a better projector, but maybe we'll come across that in time?  Keep a lookout for future showings!  It's fun, free, and usually involves snacks.

 photo DF06CF56-7F20-4B16-BC8B-36E202A2394D-4796-0000022118602B27_zps7d0fc64e.jpg

Sunday, I had brunch with KMHD, Britt, and Blair at Taqueria Karina. Somehow, I managed to get around the Mexicoma and completed a lot of projects, all whilst watching hockey.  Made bread starter, got the heater repaired, repotted succulents:
 photo E99A6062-4CD2-44B6-8144-938AFFC17AF6-4796-000002204BF59FA0_zpse813bd6a.jpg

Made Shibori style curtains:
 photo A8D8492B-D267-42A8-9D83-560CA43AC978-4796-000002208EF81BF7_zpsc0c5759d.jpg

 photo 77944895-9DE0-44AC-94CB-7F7AA71B5986-4796-0000022097BBAD59_zps0d050e6e.jpg

 photo 91FC4B03-051A-4359-9996-5DCEB02E823D-4796-000002209CA2AE83_zpsb0322e29.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with the results, especially since I had no experience and it was my first go:
 photo 5E673CA6-9479-45A3-9EA1-16A9757F944B-4796-00000220A34B275F_zpsf631ea3e.jpg

I had some extra cloth, so I got experimental.  There's room for improvement, but I'm really into cloth dyeing.  Blair + I spoke of taking a weekend to try all kinds of methods:
 photo AA3473F8-9980-4034-B43E-88F4DB562D21-4796-00000220D49F67EB_zpsa46f215e.jpg

 photo DFBFA1B0-0B1D-414A-A030-918486DA23E2-4796-00000220E494CBD1_zps968bf2db.jpg

 photo F2BA49B9-CEF5-4716-AE37-92FE3FC1009A-4796-00000220D9A9BE65_zps4722d855.jpg

For Monday, Presidents' Day, ATM + I planned a 'enjoy your city' day instead of jetting off somewhere.  We got coffee, went thrift store shopping, had lunch at Big Orange, went to Fresh Market for clams, took a rainy day nap, baked bread, made pasta. 
 
 photo 130AD309-AC4D-4307-BDCE-9A75D72508DE-6658-000002F7D2593086_zpsddcfe352.jpg

After Big Orange, we waddled around a bit and discovered a new olive oil + balsamic vinegar shop in the Promenade called Strippaggio.  Got to taste so many of each!  It's so hard to beat a quality extra virgin oil.  We had to ask the owner how much a bottle of oil was no less than 5 times because we heard $16, but kept thinking he meant $60.  We ended up buying a bottle of each, as we were in the market, with minimum damage to the pocketbook.   I'm going to have to round up my gals and go for another tasting some time soon. 

We got the Hojiblanca Medium:
 photo C6B7E9AC-A62A-4E7E-8E4E-D55E064AFF06-6658-000002F7D93621CA_zps4097fa5d.jpg

The aged strawberry vinegar is ACE:
 photo 52EFA7FF-1759-4500-8CBF-809D84C3EEA3-6658-000002F7DD4ABD0C_zps3be30372.jpg

A word of advice.  If you anticipate having a homemade pasta dinner, do not eat hamburgers for lunch followed up by an olive oil tasting.  It is total misery for your body.  The clam linguine was scrumptious and I truly regret that I wasn't even hungry for it.  I managed to at least taste it and a slice of bread that I baked, but it only made me feel more terrible.  An entire wasted meal.  SMH

 photo F3F5F247-47AD-4D22-B4A3-8C2DEF258BD4-6658-000002F7F476E3B5_zps18e91c24.jpg

 photo 738B9B38-B2BC-40BD-A36C-5AD39A593D8E-6658-000002F7EC24EEFB_zpsc1630e41.jpg

 photo 203C7F0D-4604-478A-9847-401614CA06F4-6658-000002F80E510957_zps122373d9.jpg

 photo 7C5443A3-3C61-4462-A537-C7699D4D097B-6658-000002F81E73623D_zps636e1928.jpg

We usually do so much over the weekend, that I'm exhausted by the time I return to work.

1 comment:

Alannah said...

"Friend of Felines" sounds so much better than Old Cat Lady.

PONEEEEEZZZZ!!!! Seriously can't wait.

Blog Archive